We are the teaching department for computing at Saint Vincent College:
a small, Catholic, Benedictine, liberal arts and sciences college located in Latrobe,PA. The CIS department
offers a complete major in CIS.
The major currently has a choice of a
CS (Computer Science)
IT (Information Technology)
Concentration , or
The minor is flexible,
allowing specializations in areas such as computer security, web technologies, databases,
mathematics & computing, and programming languages.
- We received a $50,000 Snee-Reinhardt Foundation grant
for 2 new computer labs, which are now in place along with our larger, main computer lab.
- Strong job
market for CS grads expected to get even better, according to recent data. Be sure to look at the
graphs and charts showing that 73 percent of new STEM jobs
through 2020 will be in computing and that computing is the only STEM field where jobs outstrip the number of graduates.
In fact, the data predict 3.5 computing jobs in the U.S. for each computing graduate.
- Wall Street Journal article
says that tech firms are scouring college campuses looking for software engineering talent
- A recent US News and World Report Money article
lists their 100 best jobs. Software developer is number 1, computer systems analyst is number 2, web developer is number 9,
information security analyst is number 11, database administrator is number 12, and there are other computer professions
listed in the top 100.
- Computer systems analysis career is highly ranked.
- Check out Computer Science Education Week for a wealth of information
about the interesting places that computer science can take today's students!
- Engineering, Computer Science Pay More Than Liberal Arts, according to a recent Wall Street Journal article.
- The only STEM area (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) where the 10-year projection of job openings exceeds the
number of college graduates is computing -- and the openings exceed the number of graduates by a large amount! See
the bar chart on the bottom of page 3
of this pdf file.
reports on the top paid majors
- Computer Science and Engineering gave top starting
- No unemployment for information security analysts
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects
strong growth in demand for software engineers, computer systems analysts, and information security analysts.
- Computing Degrees and Careers from the Association for
- According to eweek.com, citing Dice.com data,
there is strong demand
for software developers. Other computing areas in the top 10 for demand include
security, SAP developers, Microsoft Sharepoint specialists, web developers, and network engineering professionals.
- August 2013 NetworkWorld article on the 10 hottest IT jobs, including software development